Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Beyond The Door



Well, Happy New Year's Eve everyone. I hope everyone is safe tonight. I'll be drinking unless I'm driving, in which case I will be driving and not drinking which will suck hard. I think it's going to be a coin flip tonight as to who the designated driver is going to be. Really, though, I'm more worried about the other drivers on the road than myself.

Anywho. BEYOND THE DOOR is really pretty good. Surprisingly so, actually. It's got a few really scary moments (like when the children are trapped in their room - pre-POLTERGEIST - with all the scary dolls). It's got the weirdest WTF ending of all time, coupled with the flat-out worst and most inappropriate movie score in recent memory. Aside from those two things, though, it's a good time that more than resembles the prior year's THE EXORCIST. I am told that the Warner Bros. actually sued over the flick, but I'm not sure of the truth behind that one.

Above is a pen & watercolor quickie from the flick of Richard Johnson. He sure looks haggard in DOOR, but would go on to look even more haggard in Lucio Fulci's ZOMBIE several years later.

In other news, I tried to watch George Clooney's third directorial effort LEATHERHEADS but I absolutely could not get past 15 minutes. Maybe it's because I don't like looking at Renee Zellweger's post-JERRY MAGUIRE face for more than a second or two (since Maguire she doesn't ever seem to be able to open her eyes. Or maybe it's just me). Maybe it's because it's about football, or maybe it's just watching the attempt at golden age screwball comedy go completely flat and fall on its face (I'll take BRINGING UP BABY over LEATHERHEADS any day of the week). In any case, what I saw did not leave me begging for more, so I opted to watch something else instead. Eventually I'll have to finish it, as I hate making a judgment about a movie without seeing the whole thing first. And, besides, I really liked Clooney's CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND and, of course, GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK. Both great movies in my humble opinion.

Ah, well. Enough of my blathering. Onward and upward. I must get my drink (or drive) on soon. I must prepare. Happy New Year's Eve everyone! Be safe, all!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you would like to purchase originals, prints, or commission artwork, you can contact me at
terbybrown@yahoo.com or
awrymovie@hotmail.com

No comments: