Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ozymandias (And The Inevitable Decline Of All Men)

OmiGod, it's been almost a week since I've posted on the ol' blogeroo! This situation must be remedied immediately.

Unfortunately, I cannot show any artwork I've been working on lately, due to it being part of my notorious Super Secret Project (which is coming along swimmingly, thankyouverymuch).

Instead, I will show you what I've been up to in some very adorable photos.

Tax money came, I bought a new car with the Significant Other.

And today, we made another addition to our family. You see, we recently gave our little chihuahua Jezebel (B.K.A. Jezzie) to my mother. And we just got the replacement.

He's two months old, and he's a mix between a cocker and a dachshund.

We've named him Oz (short for Ozymandias - which was another name for Ramesses the Great, Pharaoh of the nineteenth dynasty of ancient Egypt). Go read Percy Shelley's 1818 sonnet for some great quotes like,

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

See the inevitable decline of all men below:





Our kitty Sasha was the only cat of ours that felt worthy of investigating the new dog, below:


...and it seems that Oz - although apparently frightened by the cat - was awarded a kiss:


"Hmph. I've had better," he seemed to say.


A good name for a puppy that's cute as hell and almost kind of pitiful looking, huh? Give him credit, though - he'd had a very long day and was very tired and grumpy when these photos were taken.

On a side note, I know Percy Shelley is regarded as awesome and all that, but I kinda prefer Horace Smith's sonnet (also entitled "Ozymandias", and published in the same magazine a month after Shelley's was) which goes a little something like this:

"In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.
We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragments huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place."

Or, if you prefer, we named the dog after Seth Green's character "Oz" in the BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER television series. Either way, the name (and the dog) is a winner all the way around, right?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you would like to purchase originals, prints, or commission artwork, you can contact me at
terbybrown@yahoo.com

No comments: